Book Your Driving Test
Driving Test Application Requirements
You can apply for a driving test online or by post. Please note you cannot apply for your driving test by phone.
Before applying for your driving test online:
- Verify that you are eligible to sit your test—6 month rule.
- Make sure you have taken the mandatory lessons for certain motorcyclists (IBT) or car drivers (EDT).
- Know your current, valid driver number.
- Know your PPS number—this can be found on tax documents or your pay slip and it is often on correspondence from a social welfare or tax office.
- You must have a valid debit or credit card (Visa and Mastercard are currently accepted).
If you are applying by post payments can be made by cheque, postal order or bank draft.
You can book your Test on the RSA Website.
Driving Test Advice
You are required to bring a vehicle to the test centre on the day of your driving test. The Road Safety Authority do not provide a vehicle for your driving test. You must be insured to drive the vehicle. The vehicle must display a current valid original insurance disc (currently not accepting emailed versions of insurance discs), current valid motor tax disc and NCT disc, if required. Vehicles may be rented from ISM.
When you’ve practiced hard for your driving test, the last thing you want is to be let down by your car on the day. It is vital that your vehicle is in good working order and has no defects that could embarrass you or, worse, cause your examiner to cancel your test – as they have a right to do. The best way to avoid this happening is to put together a checklist.
Here are the main things to look for:
- Mechanical condition
Is the car you’ll be using for the test mechanically sound? For example, is the handbrake capable of holding the car on the steepest hill in town?
- Wiper blades
Renew if worn.
- Brake and indicator lights
Check the indicator lenses are clean and unbroken. If these show a ‘white’ light due to a broken lens, the test will not be conducted.
- ‘L’ plates
Attach them front and rear so that they are clearly visible. Place where it will not hamper visibility – tax, insurance and, if applicable, NCT discs should be on the windscreen.
Is there enough in the tank?
- Fluids: oil, coolant, brake, power-steering
Check levels. In particular, check oil pressure in case of leaks.
- Check tyre pressure
- Windscreen washer
Fill the washer bottle and use a windscreen-washer additive
- Interior mirror
Remove the various paraphernalia such as air fresheners, furry toys, dice and so on –needless distractions, for you and the Driver Tester
- Car body
Clean the car, in particular all windows, both inside and outside.
- Clean the interior of your car
The examiner will also check your technical knowledge of the car as part of the test. This consists of, "Show me or tell me how you would check three of the following”:
- Engine oil level
- Coolant level
- Windscreen-washer-fluid level
- Brake-fluid level
- Power-steering-fluid level