Ensure that you have read fully and are familiar with all areas of the Rules of the Road and the Theory Test.
A number of driving tests are not conducted because test candidates do not meet certain requirements on the day of the test.
Handy pre-test checklist
- You must be present in the test centre before the appointed time of your test.
- You must produce your current Irish provisional licence for your test category (Receipts are NOT sufficient).
- Please also note carefully the minimum vehicle requirements for the driving test as set out on the appointment letter.
- You must be insured to drive the vehicle. The vehicle must display a current valid original Insurance Disc, which must clearly show the Registration Number of the vehicle (not Chassis Number) and the policy dates.
- Vehicles used as taxis or hackneys are not permitted to be used as driving test vehicles unless the appropriate rate of Vehicle Excise Duty has been paid.
- The following must be displayed on your vehicle:
- Current valid motor tax disc
- NCT disc
- ‘L’ plates front and rear
- The vehicle must be in a roadworthy condition. Specifically:
- Tyres should upon have a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm,
- You may not carry passengers or pets while undergoing the test,
- The windscreen should be clean and free from visual obstructions, including cracks,
- The seat belt on the tester’s side should be fitted and in good working order,
- The passenger door on the tester’s side should be working properly and, in particular, should be possible to open from the inside as well as the outside,
- The suspension should not be obviously defective,
- The brake and indicator lights should be working properly
- The handbrake should be in good working order,
- There should be no leakage, into the vehicle, of exhaust fumes,
- Where seats are designed to hold head restraints, these restraints must be in place on the day of the test, and