Full Driving Licence


When you pass a driving test in Ireland you are entitled to apply for a driving licence for the category of vehicle which you were tested for. You are required to carry your driving licence with you at all times when driving.

To apply for a driving licence, you must be normally resident in Ireland. You are considered to be normally resident in Ireland if, because of personal and occupational ties, you usually live here for at least 185 days in each calendar year.

If you have an Irish driving licence, the licence is accepted for use or exchange in all other EU/EEA member states. If you are travelling outside of the EU/EEA and will be driving, you may require an international driving permit.

Since 19 January 2013 the Road Safety Authority has responsibility for driver licensing. Since 29 October 2013 the application process has changed and, when applying, you will need to visit one of the new National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) centres. As part of this face-to-face application process, your photo and your signature will be captured digitally. These will be included in the existing fee. You will have to bring additional documentation to confirm your identity. Further information is available on the NDLS website.

A new plastic card driver licence has been introduced, replacing the paper driving licence and learner permit. Anyone who applie dfor a licence or learner permit since 12 January 2013 receives the new plastic version. This is an EU initiative to introduce a secure, compact style of licence in all member states. Also, the number of driving licence categories increased and the minimum age requirement for certain categories changed. Further information is available on the Road Safety Authority's website.

This document explains the current situation regarding applying for a driving licence in Ireland.


You are entitled to apply for a driving licence if:

  • You have recently passed a driving test
  • You hold a driving licence that will expire within 3 months and you want to renew it
  • You held a driving licence that expired less than 10 years ago and you want to renew it
  • You hold a driving licence and you want to have an additional category of vehicles added to it and a driving test is not required (see section on changing name or address)
  • You are exchanging a current valid driving licence issued by another EU/EEA member or by another "recognised state"

The period of time a driving licence is issued for depends on the age of the applicant. There are 4 age brackets that the period of a licence falls under.

  • If you are under 60 years of age, you may apply for a 3-year (on medical grounds) or a 10-year licence. Since 19 January 2013 the maximum period is 5 years for a bus and/or truck driving licence.
  • If you are older than 60 but younger than 67 years of age, you may apply for a licence that will expire the day before your 70th birthday. The maximum period is 5 years for a bus and/or truck driving licence.
  • If you are older than 67 but under 70 years of age, you may apply for a 3-year licence.
  • If you are over the age of 70, you will need a certification of fitness to drive by your doctor to apply for a 3-year or a one-year licence.

If your driving licence expired 10 years ago, then you must complete a Driver Theory Test. Following completion of your Driver Theory Test, you can only apply for a learner driver permit and you will have to re-sit your driving test again.

Categories of vehicles

Motor vehicles in Ireland are divided into different categories for driver licensing purposes. This is a standard practice throughout the European Union. Ireland has 15 categories in total since 19 January 2013, ranging from motorcycles to agricultural vehicles. You can read more about categories of vehicles and minimum ages of drivers here.

Your category of driving licence may give you entitlement to a driving licence for certain other categories of driving licence. See "Further information" below on which categories this applies to.

Restrictions on novice drivers

Category A (motorcycle) driving licences issued before 19 January 2013 carry a restriction. This restriction limits the licence holder to motorcycles (with or without a sidecar) with a power limit of 25Kw or less. This restriction continues for 2 years after you complete your motorcycle driving licence test for this category and after you have obtained a full driving licence for this category. This restriction does not apply to category A driving licences issued since 19 January 2013. If you hold a category A driving licence to which this restriction applies and want to remove the restriction before the 2 years have elapsed, you will have to do Initial Basic Training (IBT) progression module 5 (and modules 1 and 3 if not already done) on a motorcycle greater than 40kW.

Since October 2011 the drink driving limits for drivers with learner permits and those in their first two years on a full driving licence is reduced to 20mg/100ml of blood.

Further information on other proposed measures is available on the Road Safety Authority's website.

If I change my name or address do I need to apply for a new driving licence?

While you are required to carry your driving licence with you at all times when driving, you are not required by law to change your licence if you change your name or address. However, it is advisable. You are required to show evidence of your licence if requested to by An Garda Siochana, so your licence should contain up-to-date information.

You will have to apply to one of the NDLS centres and you will require supporting documents, such as, an original marriage certificate. See ‘How to apply’ below.

How do I replace a lost/stolen driving licence?

If your current driving licence is lost, stolen, damaged or defaced, you should apply to one of the NDLS centres for a replacement. The replacement licence is a duplicate or exact copy of your original driving licence. You can find out how to replace a driving licence in our document on replacing a lost or stolen Irish driving licence.


Since 1 January 2013, the cost of driving licences is as follows:

  • One-year driving licence costs €25
  • Three-year driving licence costs €35
  • Ten-year driving licence costs €55*

*Five-year bus and/or truck driving licence since 19 January 2013.

Motorists over the age of 70 can get their driving licence renewed for free.

Exchanging a driving licence to show a new name or address is free, but to add a new category is €35.

Information on acceptable forms of payment is available on the application form.

How to apply

The application form for a driving licence, Form D401, is available from NDLS centres, Driving Test centres, Driving Theory Test centres and Garda Stations. You can also download Form D401 (pdf) as well as guidance notes (pdf).

If renewing a driving licence see our document, Renewing a full driving licence.

You will have to apply in person to one of the NDLS centres. You will not have to provide photographs with your application but you will need to bring additional documents with you in order to confirm you are the person that is applying for the driving licence/learner permit. If you currently have an Irish driving licence/learner permit, you will need to bring the licence/permit and evidence of your PPS Number. If you do not have an Irish driving licence/learner permit, you will need to bring photographic ID, proof of your residency entitlement, evidence of your PPS Number and proof of address. See ‘Proof of identity’ section below.

Your completed application form must include the following:

  • Since 29 October 2013 you no longer have to provide photographs.
  • Your current or most recently issued learner driving permit. If your most recent learner permit has been lost or stolen, the application form must be signed and stamped by a Garda in your local Garda Station.
  • A Driving Licence Medical Report Form may be required. A medical report is compulsory if: 
    - you are applying for Categories C, C1, D, D1, CE, C1E, DE or D1E unless you previously provided a medical report which is still applicable
    - you will be 70 years of age or more on the first day of the period for which the licence is being issued
    - you have any of certain disabilities or diseases
    - you suffer from epilepsy or alcoholism
    - you regularly take drugs or medication that would be likely to impair your ability to drive safely 
    You can download the medical report form here (pdf) (it must be printed back to back on one page). It is also available from NDLS centres. A registered medical practitioner should carry out your medical examination and then complete the form. You must sign the declaration on the medical report form in the presence of the registered medical practitioner.
  • A Driving Licence Eyesight Report Form may be required if you no longer need glasses or contact lenses. You can download the eyesight report form here (pdf). It is also available from NDLS centres.
  • A Certificate of Competency
  • The appropriate fee - see Rates above.

Proof of identity

The following documents are accepted as proof of your identity:

  • Photographic ID
    - Irish passport
    - Current passport for all non-Irish citizens
    - Current National Identity Card for EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens
    - Irish Certificate of Naturalisation
    - Current UK (photo) driving licence
    - Current Public Services Card
    - Current Irish Travel Documents (issued by INIS)
  • Proof of your residency entitlement
    - Irish/UK long-form birth certificate or adoption certificate
    - Foreign birth registration
    - Irish passport
    - Current passport for all EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens
    - Current National Identity Card for EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens
    - Irish Certificate of Naturalisation
    - Current Certificate of Registration (GNIB card) for non-EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens
  • Evidence of your PPS Number
    - Public Services Card/Social Services Card
    - Correspondence from Revenue/Social Welfare showing PPSN
    - P21/Tax Assessment/ Notice of Tax credits
    - Receipt of Social Welfare Payment
    - Medical Card/Drug Payment Scheme (DPS) Card
    - Payslip or P60/P45
  • Proof of address (See Note below)
    - Utility bill such as electricity/phone/gas/cable television/broadband provider)
    - Correspondence with an insurance company
    - Statement from your bank/building society/Credit Union
    - Letter from the Department of Social Protection/Revenue
    - Other official correspondence from an Irish State agency, such as Government departments; HSE; Register of Electors/Polling card; CAO; Private Residential Tenancies Board or third level college/training agency

Note: Proof of address documents can be no more than 6 months old at date of application. Mobile phone bills and statements from store cards/catalogue companies are not accepted.

Where to apply

Since 29 October 2013 an application for a driving licence should be made in person to one of the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) centres.

The Road Safety Authority provides information on driving licences.

The rules of the road are available at rotr.ie.

Road Safety Authority

Moy Business Park
Primrose Hill

Tel:(096) 25000 
Locall:1890 506 080 
Fax:(096) 25252 
Homepage: http://www.rsa.ie 
Email: info@rsa.ie 

National Driver Licence Service

Tel:0761 087880 
Homepage: http://www.ndls.ie/en/about-us/where-are-the-new-ndls-centres.html 
Email: info@ndls.ie 

Further information

If you have a driving licence for a particular category, you are entitled to a driving licence for certain other categories as follows:

Categories covered by your driving licence
Licence category Categories covered
A1 A1 and AM
A2 A1, A2 and AM
A A, A1, A2 and AM
B B and W
C1 B, C1 and W
C B, C, C1 and W
D1 B, D1 and W
D B, D, D1 and W
BE B, BE and W
C1E B, C1, BE, C1E and W
CE B, C, C1, BE, CE, C1E and W
D1E B, D1, BE, D1E and W
DE B, D, D1, BE, DE, D1E and W

In addition, if you have held a driving licence for category B, C, C1, D, D1, BE, CE, C1E, DE or D1E since before 21 October 2006, you are entitled to a licence for category AM.

Buy Gift Vouchers

VouchersGet them the perfect gift this Christmas with an ISM Gift Vouchers. You can choose from a wide range of prices starting at just €35 and up to €500, or set your own value.

Buy Now
The ISM Blog

Check out all the latest news from the ISM Blog. We've got all the latest articles relating to driving lessons, advice, hints, tips and so much more.

And every month a lucky commenter receives a free driving lesson.

View Blog
ISM Newsletter

Stay up to date with all the news and offers from ISM.

Sign Up
Item Added